For many, February is the time of year we show loved ones just how much we care for them. It’s equally important that we don’t forget to care for ourselves as well. That includes taking good care of our hearts.
What better time to start than February — American Heart Month. According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the number-one cause of death in the U.S., claiming over 365,000 lives in one year alone.1 American Health Month was first launched in 1964 to raise awareness of this life-threatening issue, and encourage people to adopt healthy behaviors and activities to protect and preserve their heart health.
So this February, consider minimizing the chocolates and candies, and instead try practicing healthy lifestyle habits that keep your heart beating strong for those you love. If you’re looking for ideas, start here.
Practice These Heart-Healthy Habits
- Start up a healthy daily habit like going for a long walk or replacing sugar-laden sodas with water.
- Get your cholesterol and blood pressure checked, and make sure to schedule those annual wellness screenings with your doctor.
- Reduce stress and anxiety with meditation, breathing exercises, pet therapy, and excursions out in nature.
- Take up a new sport like tennis or swimming, join a gym, or invest in home exercise equipment.
- Get plenty of quality sleep — it’s good for your heart as well as your mood and energy levels.
- Make healthier choices when it comes to meals and snacks, and try cooking at home more often.
- Laugh more with friends and loved ones — laughter has been shown to reduce blood pressure.
- Talk to your doctor with any questions or concerns you might have about your heart health and family history.
Choose the Right Health Plan
Your health plan plays a key role in your heart health, as well. When shopping for health insurance, look for plans that make it easier to embrace healthy habits and get the preventative care you need to keep your heart healthy.
Ideally, your insurance plan should offer:
- Regular wellness checks and screenings with reminders to keep you on track.
- Simple tools you can use to manage your own health.
- Telehealth visits that let you connect with your provider more quickly and easily.
- Help with managing chronic conditions like heart disease, under the guidance of a team of clinical experts.
- Low-cost healthcare services and affordable prescription medications.
- A choice of providers and specialists that allow you to choose your own doctor.
- Information and tips on healthy lifestyle choices including exercise, nutrition, and stress management.
At SureCo, we put our hearts into helping you navigate your options to find the health plan with the right mix of benefits to help you stay healthy and within budget. Call (866) 235-5515 today to get started. And happy American Heart Month.
Continue to keep up with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter to be the first to know when our new blogs are posted.